Borderlands: Texas Poetry Review
There are presently no open calls for submissions.
ABOUT BORDERLANDS: TEXAS POETRY REVIEW
Founded in 1992, Borderlands: Texas Poetry Review is a literary journal based in Austin, Texas, that publishes poetry along with art series, reviews and essays. Our nonprofit journal continues to receive wide critical acclaim and garners a national readership.
Please submit outwardly directed poetry that exhibits social, political, geographical, historical or spiritual awareness.
We are open to traditional and experimental forms from people of all backgrounds but aim to highlight historically unrepresented voices including people of color, members of the LGBTQIA+ community, women, nonbinary or trans individuals, and people with disabilities. Contributors to our journal are nominated for national contests including the Pushcart Prize and Best New Poets.
Previous contributors to our journal have included: Cyrus Cassells, sam sax, Oliver de la Paz, Naomi Shihab-Nye, Jeffrey Bahr, Shara Lessley, Rosebud Ben Oni, Kelle Groom, Khaled Mattawa, Siaraa Freeman, Alex Lemon and more.
Discounts for Submitters
Submitters can receive an annual subscription to Borderlands: Texas Poetry Review at the discounted rate of $15 or a single issue for $5.
Tip Jar Submissions
Submitters now have the option to submit through our Tip Jar Submission for $3. People who submit through this option will receive notification of their submission status within 4-6 weeks.
Submitters will now have the option to choose an editor to receive in-depth feedback from on their submission packet. Feedback includes commentary on poem titles, form, ordering, lineation and suggestions on alternative places to submit. Please review this submission link for more details.
CURRENT ISSUE THEME
The theme for Issue 52 is: CHANGE
From Faylita Hicks, Editor of BTPR:
"I want poems that will speak to current issues including immigration, climate change, queer intersectionality, social justice, modern love, redefining joy, and international travel. I want the poems that excite you and challenge you; the poems that make you want to get up and change something about the world around you."
Above all, we are interested in great poetry that moves us!
- Simultaneous submissions are welcome, but please notify us if your poem(s) is accepted elsewhere.
- We do not accept previously published work.
- Poetry submissions should be typed in Times Roman or Times New Roman 12pt font, single-spaced. (Note that bold-faced type cannot be reproduced. With rare exceptions, we do not double-space poems.)
- Submit a maximum of three poems (3) that total no more than five (5) pages.
- All poems should be submitted in a single .pdf or .docx document of no more than five pages (5) and should NOT include the submitter's name/address/phone number.
- Please only submit once per submission period. All submitters, whether chosen for the current issue or not, may apply again to the next issue.
Please include a cover letter in the Submittable form with your name, address, e-mail address, phone number, and a brief (one-paragraph) bio.
Please do not include your cover letter in the uploaded document.
Payment for having a poem(s) accepted is one contributor's copy of the issue in which your work will appear.
Editors have two reading cycles. Check submission periods below for our next cycle:
Fall/Winter issue: March 30 – June 30 (Extended to July 5)
Spring/Summer issue: September 15 – December 15