Founded in 1992, Borderlands: Texas Poetry Review is a literary journal based in Austin, Texas, that publishes poetry along with art series, reviews and essays. Our nonprofit journal continues to receive wide critical acclaim and garners a national readership.
Editors have two reading cycles. Check submission periods below for our next cycle:
Fall/Winter issue: March 30 – June 30
Spring/Summer issue: September 15 – December 15
Please submit outwardly directed poetry that exhibits social, political, geographical, historical or spiritual awareness. We are open to traditional and experimental forms. Above all, we are interested in great poetry that moves us.
- Simultaneous submissions are welcome, but please notify us if your poem(s) is accepted elsewhere.
- We do not accept previously published work.
- Poetry submissions should be typed in Times Roman or Times New Roman font, single-spaced, and include page numbers. Italicize or underline words to be italicized. Note that bold-faced type cannot be reproduced. With rare exceptions, we do not double-space poems.
- Submit a maximum of five poems per issue for our consideration.
Include a cover letter with your name, address, e-mail address, phone number, and brief (one-paragraph) bio.
Payment for having a poem(s) accepted is one contributor's copy of the issue in which your work will appear.
- All essays and reviews must be germane to poetry and are accepted under the provision that the author be willing to work with the editors on recommended changes (length, punctuation, general editing, etc.). Essays and reviews must be submitted ahead of the deadline for each issue.
- Editors are particularly interested in essays that draw attention to the work of overlooked poets.
- Editors are partial to book reviews that consider more than one work.
- Review and essay submissions should be typed, double-spaced, and include page numbers. Name, address, phone number, and e-mail address should appear on the first page.
- Reviewers must include a cover letter with a brief bio. Reviews should be no longer than 1500 words, though longer reviews are acceptable when several books are under consideration. Please submit your review in Times or Times New Roman font. Include date of publication, price, and publisher for all works considered.
- Essays should be 2500 words or less.
- Poets may send books for review consideration.